Wednesday, August 31, 2011

SWA #3

In Elie Wiesel’s “Am I My Brother’s Keeper,” there is a lot of talk about technology letting us know more about the sufferings of our “brothers and sisters”. But Wiesel also claims that it can overwhelm us to the point that a kind of numbness sets in. Wiesel’s claim to dealing with this challenge is very straight forward and simple. She says that we should show a more hands on, practical compassion to any victims of misfortune and oppression. For instance, in the beginning she talks about apartheid in South Africa and that we should have protested louder and been more hands on in the situation. I can’t say in every case I agree with Wiesel but I do agree on the level that dealing with the suffering of others in a more hands on approach is much more beneficial to that other person in the long run. To know that there is another person there to help ease the suffering means much more than any kind of secondary, non-hands on act.
            She also goes on to argue that just being in the presence of suffering is the least we can do to be hands on. Wiesel says, “Sometimes it inspires others to do what I am doing,” and I agree completely on this subject. When one person sees another person helping and putting everything they have into someone who is suffering that can be contagious. I think that shows leadership and people respect that and want to join in to help the cause.   Everything that Wiesel says is easier said than done in my opinion. The one simple thing Wiesel says that I believe can be done is just being a brother to one other person. That is the best way to be hands on to overcome the numbness that sets in. I agree with Wiesel that extending one’s help out to another person becomes a chain reaction. At least that is the hope.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the "easier said that done" part of what you wrote is completely true. I try to help one person but being there for everyone's suffering is just not possible without completely giving up all my life goals and dreams. However passing on a bit of kindness I do believe sets off a chain reaction.

    ReplyDelete