Sunday, August 28, 2011

SWA #1

My best writing experience had to be my essay on why I chose the major I did coming into college. I enjoyed writing it so much because I got to describe to individuals I’ve never met my passion for my career choice. I got to open up about something that I’m going to be doing for the rest of my life. Having to give my reasoning for such a huge choice made writing the essay quite pleasurable. Since my choice was engineering I had a very fulfilling feeling sharing that I could change the world once I got done with school.
            On the other hand, my worst writing experience came in my junior year of high school. It was in environmental science class and the topic was roots and their acceptance of the nutrients in the Earth. I remember it so well because I didn’t do well on the paper at all. When a paper doesn’t interest me I have trouble putting my best work into it. It didn’t help that there wasn’t nearly enough information to put together a quality essay.  The topic was extremely boring to me and it made me regret taking the class. I know when I put together a quality essay or if it is not up to par.  
            Out of the two experiences the one that affected me substantially more was my good writing experience. It is stuck in my mind as being such a good experience because I got to write about something I love, engineering. Anytime I have the chance to write about a passion the words always flow out onto the page much better. Once I revised that paper multiple times and put the finishing touches on it I knew it was one of the best papers I had ever written. It ended up helping me get into five out of six schools and I will never forget writing it.      

2 comments:

  1. I admire the fact that your best writing experience came from writing about something you are seriously passionate about. I admire the fact that you feel so head-strong about engineering, because even though I really like math, I'm not that passionate about being an accounting major. I can also relate to your worst writing experience because mine was similar. I hate being given topics that seem completely unrelateable to anything I care about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. College essays were also my best writing experiences, but also some of my worst. I enjoyed them because we could write about basically anything that we valued, and I knew admissions would get to know me better throughout. College admissions essays became difficult when 100-word limits were added because I had to cut out huge parts of my papers to fit the limits, making me feel like admissions were missing out on important aspects of what I wanted to say.

    ReplyDelete